- 1 Should lawyers advertise on billboards?
- 2 What type of advertising should billboards be used for?
- 3 What are the benefits of billboards?
- 4 How long does a driver have to read a billboard?
- 5 Top 8 Billboard Design Tips
- 6 Billboards that can be read, understood and remembered in a 1 second glance!
- 7 Mobile Billboards
- 8 Free Billboards
- 9 Billboards no one will remember
Should lawyers advertise on billboards?
If your law firm is already advertising on TV or radio, branding on billboards will increase the effectiveness of your advertising.
If you get a really good price on a billboard in a high-traffic area it may be worthwhile without advertising on TV or radio but only if you have a 1-800 vanity phone number, because people only remember the most prominent word or image on the billboard.
A 1-800 vanity phone number will improve the conversion rate because law firm names are not easily branded.
What type of advertising should billboards be used for?
Billboards are are used for branding. Whatever you put on a billboard will be branded.
Billboards are not for direct response advertising (advertising designed to generate an immediate response such as where someone responds to your advertising by calling). But billboards will substantially increase the effectiveness of direct response advertising.
Personal Injury lawyers use direct response advertising. Lawyers should use the power of branding on billboards to increase awareness of direct response advertising media such as TV, radio and internet. Using different types of media at the same time is called cross branding.
Lawyer advertising on billboards without a vanity phone number will produce NO calls. Although billboards don’t work for direct response advertising, adding 1-800-HURT-911 on billboards (without TV or radio) has shown to bring in enough calls to pay for the billboards and more, but considerably less than TV.
If you’re a lawyer advertising on billboards without a 1-800 vanity phone number, you’re wasting your money. No one can remember a numeric number they see on a Billboard.
What are the benefits of billboards?
- Billboards can’t be ignored by the viewer
- Billboards are a static image which stays in the viewer’s mind
- Billboards make a huge impact creating substantial branding
- Continuous exposure to drivers traveling the same route twice a day every day
- Billboards substantially increase the effectiveness of direct response advertising such as TV and radio
How long does a driver have to read a billboard?
Average viewing time is only 5 seconds and less than 7 words is recommended for the title, according to Clear Channel (see also 10 Steps To Making a Great Billboard Ad and Outdoor Advertising Design Tips with some great design tools).
1-800-HURT-911, gets your message across in 1 second. Look at the billboards below and ask yourself which billboards would you spend your money on.
This billboard was rather effective for direct response advertising and the viewer had plenty of time to read it!
Top 8 Billboard Design Tips
- Hire an ad designer to professionally design your billboard.
- Limit text to 7 words or less.
- If you want people to contact you, use a vanity phone number. Vanity phone numbers are better than website addresses because it’s one less step to contact you.
- Text should be a catchy word play and relate to your vanity phone number, ie.
ACCIDENT? It’s a 911 call!
- Text font should be large, simple and stand out. Color and contrast is crucial.
- Avoid images unless it’s the main message. Images will draw attention away from your message. If used the image should be simple and easily identified within 3 seconds.
- Do not include photos of people (unless you want a seat at the best table in a restaurant). Photos of people will draw attention away from your message.
- Test how your ad looks from a distance. Print it on a poster at Costco and hang it on the wall; Walk past it from a distance and see if you can get the message within 3 seconds. Ask friends to walk past it and see if they get the message.
Billboards that can be read, understood and remembered in a 1 second glance!
OUTFRONT Media announced it rolled out a bus domination campaign for 1-800-HURT-911 throughout the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) transit system.
“As the only campaign on the front of every bus in the MARTA fleet, 1-800-HURT-911 will have exclusive access to the most outdoor transit displays in Atlanta.”
1-800-HURT-911 is on the front of 400 buses in Atlanta with advertising rights to the front of MARTA buses for two years. See the OUTFRONT Media Press Release
Inexpensive ways to advertise on billboards
- Car Wraps
- Bike Billboards
- Scooter Billboards
- Truck Billboards.
Wrapping cars is the most cost-effective billboard
1-800-HURT-911 branding on a race car
The best billboard is a free billboard. Fortunately, it’s relatively easy to get a free billboard.
Just buy or rent a building in a high visibility area where you can put up a large sign on the side of the building or on the roof.
Another way to get a free billboard is to buy or rent a retail storefront on which you can have a large noticeable sign.
Billboards no one will remember
Want to design the perfect billboard? Read The Perfect Ad
Can you remember this lawyer’s phone number in the time it takes to pass his billboard in 5 seconds at 65 mph? All I remember is a red face and a dark suit. One call, but what’s the number?
Compare this! and don’t hire me from my billboard! This board is unreadable
All I see and remember is CAR ACCIDENT We Care because it’s the only thing that stands out. The image is distracting and adds nothing to the message. No one will notice or remember their name and certainly not their phone number. Do you care?