- 1 Does Quality Score and ROI improve with Google Ads for lawyers when using a vanity phone number in the ad title?
- 2 A/B Comparison Testing: Google Ads Titles for Lawyers
- 3 Location of a Vanity Phone Number In The Google Ads Title Is Important
- 4 Why Does 1-800-HURT-911® Increase Conversion of Google Ads?
- 5 1-800-HURT-911® Gives You an Advantage Over Large Personal Injury Law Firms
- 6 What Is Google Quality Score and Why Is It Important To Google Ads For Lawyers?
- 7 How 1-800-HURT-911® Will Increase Your Google Quality Score
- 8 Landing Pages
- 9 Tracking Calls from Landing Pages When Using a Vanity Phone Number
- 10 Next Step: Improve ROI With Lead Management Software
Does Quality Score and ROI improve with Google Ads for lawyers when using a vanity phone number in the ad title?
That’s what I wanted to know, so we did a study with an A/B test to find out if we would get better results in Google Ads for lawyers when using a vanity phone number that attracts attention and gets instant branding vs generic Google Ads for lawyers.
A/B Comparison Testing: Google Ads Titles for Lawyers
In a comparison test of our Google Ads title using 1-800-HURT-911® (including ®) vs. without, the results were striking:
- 24.10% lower cost per click — $114.30 for 1-800-HURT-911® vs. $150.60 without.
- 69.84% share of clicks/calls with 1-800-HURT-911® vs. 30.16% without.
- 640% increase in ROI when using 1-800-HURT-911® in the title.
(The lower cost per click wasn’t because people bypassed Google Ads by calling 1-800-HURT-911. All calls were received through Google and CallRail tracking numbers. No one called 1-800-HURT-911 directly.)
At a $25,000 per month budget, using 1-800-HURT-911® in the title of Google Ads should produce 52.72 more clicks or 8.32 more cases per month. With an average settlement value of only $60,000 per case and a 1/3 legal fee, this amounts to additional legal fees of $166,400 per month!
Improvements across all ads but attributed to 1-800-HURT-911® produced:
- 166.66% increase in click/calls
- 44.42% overall conversion rate for all ads (our conversion rate has increased since we started. It was 71.70% June 2020 and 96.55% April 2021)
- 86.55% impression share – substantially higher than other advertisers (see chart)
- 1.9 average position – substantially higher than other advertisers (see chart)
- Overall average cost per case for ads both with 1-800-HURT-911® and without was $792.41.
Our Google Quality Score has been increasing so we expect these numbers to improve. After we switch to using only 1-800-HURT-911® in the title of Google ads, there should be even further improvement.
The screenshots below show we receive a substantially higher share of impressions and average position in Google Ads.
This chart is another screen capture from our Google Ads dashboard showing 1-800-HURT-911® has an 86.55% share of all ads with a substantially higher average ad position.
Location of a Vanity Phone Number In The Google Ads Title Is Important
When asking our Google campaign manager to run the A/B test, I didn’t specify where in the title to put 1-800-HURT-911®. I found that it was on the right side for all ads except one or two.
Car Accident Lawyers | 1-800-HURT-911®
1-800-HURT-911® | Car Accident Lawyers
When 1-800-HURT-911® was on the left side at the beginning of the title, conversions were significantly higher. This means that the increase in ROI would have been even higher if 1-800-HURT-911® was on the left side of the title on all the Google ads.
Why Does 1-800-HURT-911® Increase Conversion of Google Ads?
It’s a combination of two powerful forces:
- Instant branding created by the vanity phone number
- Pattern interrupt or pattern disruption
A brand in the Google Ads title makes people want to take action by clicking or calling.
Pattern disruption also called pattern interrupt is used here with the combination of numbers, letters, capital letters, and symbols to get noticed. (Google Ads prohibit using pattern disruption unless it is your brand like 1-800-HURT-911®).
See these articles about pattern interruption:
- Brain activity patterns induced by interrupting the cognitive processes with online advertising
- It’s not the marketing message that counts – it’s disrupting people’s habits
- What is Pattern Interrupt and Why Should you Care? (Forbes)
The 1-800-HURT-911® brand has all of that.
Which of these ads would you click on? The results on this page make it clear which ad people prefer to click on.
1-800-HURT-911® | Car Accident Lawyers
FRANCKEL PLEVY | Car Accident Lawyers
1-800-DIVORCE® | FRANCKEL PLEVY
Divorce Lawyers | FRANCKEL PLEVY
Including numbers, letters, capital letters, and symbols in your Google Ads title attracts attention by breaking up the monotony of all letters.
1-800-HURT-911® Gives You an Advantage Over Large Personal Injury Law Firms
With Google Ads for lawyers, unlike TV, a larger law firm cannot gain an advantage over a smaller law firm because they have a huge advertising budget and you don’t.
In fact, a much lower budget Google Ads campaign can get more cases at a lower cost per click than the big personal injury law firms! This is because if your Google Ads have a higher conversion rate and Quality Score than those of larger law firms, Google considers them more relevant and you will get a better position, more clicks, and pay less per click than your competition!
What Is Google Quality Score and Why Is It Important To Google Ads For Lawyers?
Google states, “Quality Score is an estimate of the quality of your ads, keywords, and landing pages. Higher quality ads can lead to lower prices and better ad positions.”
Thus, if your Google Ads have a Quality Score higher than your competition’s Google Ad, you gain two very important points over your competition:
- Your Google Ad will be listed above your competition, so you get more clicks
- You will pay substantially less than your competition for each click
Google states, “The more relevant your ads and landing pages are to the user, the more likely it is that you’ll see higher Quality Scores. Quality Score is an aggregated estimate of your overall performance in ad auctions…” (Emphasis added)
Basically, if more people click on your ad (conversions) versus your competitor’s ad, Google sees it as more relevant to their user and they will reward you for that. Since Google Ads for lawyers is one of the most expensive of all Google Ads, Quality Score is paramount.
How 1-800-HURT-911® Will Increase Your Google Quality Score
There are many things you can do to increase your Google Quality Score and you can read several articles about how to do that. When you license 1-800-HURT-911®, you will get free consultations with Phil Franckel, Esq. which will help you when speaking with your Google Ad campaign manager. If you prefer, your Google Ad campaign manager is welcome to speak with Phil Franckel.
One of the most important ways to increase the relevancy of Google ads for lawyers and thus your Google Quality Score is by using 1-800-HURT-911® in the Google Ad title.
When potential clients look for a lawyer in online advertising and see 1-800-HURT-911® in the ad title, it’s a brand attractant, making it much more likely that online visitors will click on your Google ad (and other online PPC and display advertising).
Our best performing ads used 1-800-HURT-911® at the beginning of the title.
Once a potential client looking for a lawyer clicks on your online advertising, the potential client will prefer to contact the lawyer either by calling or using a chat service.
According to Pew Research, 51% of U.S. adults will call rather than send an email or text message. The widespread ownership of mobile phones means that calls can be placed at any time, anywhere, which increases call volume.
Your website and landing pages should always include 1-800-HURT-911 for branding, call buttons, and chat service. See How to Increase Calls from PPC and Online Advertising.
Video testimonials and law firm videos on your landing page are powerful tools to get potential clients to take that next step and decide to call you. See an example of a landing page design for a personal injury lawyer using 1-800-HURT-911®.
Following are examples of videos used by lawyers advertising 1-800-HURT-911®.
Law Firm Video
Law Firm Video
Tracking Calls from Landing Pages When Using a Vanity Phone Number
You can have the advantage of using call tracking phone numbers and a vanity phone number to increase your Google Quality Score and ROI. Find out how to use tracking numbers for calls from Google Ads with a vanity phone number.
Next Step: Improve ROI With Lead Management Software
ROI from Google Ads for lawyers can be further improved by using lead management software for law firms.